Wednesday 24 August 2011

Clay Tags

Seriously, am I the last person in Blog land to try making clay tags?  Probably, but when I saw Riot Art and Craft had a 1kg pack of white clay for $9.95, I thought I'd give it a go.

There are many beautiful clay tags available on Etsy (visit Freckled Laundry or  Marley & Lockyer ) but I needed something different for my creative workdesk area, so I made these.


A small and large heart shape that I stamped with a rubber stamp (no ink) while it was wet.  The stamp has quotes about being thankful and grateful.


I tied the hearts together with twine and hung them using  a white Fleur de Lys push pin.  The hearts help to fill a gap in the gallery wall above my work desk.


Then I did a similar thing but with a bird shape.  I made a hole in the tag with a bamboo skewer and threaded through a small piece of cream ribbon.  I attached this to the gallery wall with blu-tak.




Then I made some labels for my baskets.  Once the clay tags were dried, I stamped them with rubber stamps and attached the tags to the baskets with jute twine.



These baskets hold all my crafty stuff on the shelf above my workdesk.


Just for fun I made this bird plaque.  I stamped the clay with a bird stamp (no ink) when it was wet.  When it dried, I made a wash using Jo Sonia's burnt umber paint mixed with water and used it to bring our the relief detail left by the stamp.  Just brush it on, then wipe it off with a cloth.


I still have half a packet of clay left, so I may make some more later, or I'll just visit Etsy?  Clay tags are a bit messy and time consuming but I enjoyed learning a new skill.  Good for keeping the brain active.


Sharing at:
Handy Man Crafty Woman - Wicked Awesome Wednesday
The Shabby Creek Cottage - Transformation Thursday
My Romantic Home - Show & Tell Friday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday

7 comments:

  1. You are NOT the last person because I've never seen them before! LOVE these! Thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your clay tags! Today is the first day I have ever worked with the Sculptey clay or anything like it. I had gotten a clay rolling machine with a 50% off coupon one time but had never even unwrapped it until today. You have given me some good ideas of what to do with the clay. I saw your post over at "Feathered Nest Friday".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clay tags are something I have never made! Yours are definately awesome.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your clay tags! I bought some clay packages at a yard sale, but I haven't gotten around to making anything with them yet. That is a great idea to stamp them and I love the basket labels too.

    xoxo
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really want to give these a try! you've done a great job of them. you will have to come to the next Aladdin's Fair! it's on 23rd Oct which is the last one for the year. we could meet up! Ikea was great as always :)
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your gorgeous little bird plaque Kylie. I have been wanting to have a go at making clay tags - you have just inspired me. ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...