Friday 19 October 2012

The MS Moonlight Walk & an MS Retreat


Tonight is the MS Moonlight Walk.  Thousands of people will be walking a 5 or 10 km route along Brisbane's Southbank in the hope of raising $300,000 to help the 23,000 people in Australia living with MS.  

I had planned on getting a team together and doing the walk myself, but my calendar quickly clashed, and family comes first.  My daughter has a big musical theatre concert on Sunday, and I won't be able to see it as I am attending an MS retreat for the week, flying out of Brisbane Sunday morning.  The only chance I will have to see her perform is during the dress rehearsal tonight which is at the same time as the walk.

MS Retreat

I will not be blogging or on instagram for the next week.  I am attending the Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis retreat at The Gawler Foundation in the Yarra Valley, just outside of my hometown Melbourne.  It's a small intimate retreat of 38 people with MS, or their carers.  It's run by Professor George Jellinek who wrote the book Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis.  I think it will be educational, emotional and a little confronting.

Why am I going to a retreat to learn self-help and self-healing techniques?  Because whilst I inject myself daily with medicine that costs over $1,000 per month*, I believe there is more to good health and living well than relying on medicine.  I believe the food we eat, and the way we choose to live our lives are just as important.

I tried so hard to think of a way to explain why I am so determined to look after myself and how it feels, but it's so hard ... it's so personal.  If you have 4 minutes to spare, please listen to Tricia's story as I think she explains how we all feel really well.



If you would like to know more about the MS Moonlight walk or would like to sponsor somebody who is walking, visit the web site here.


* I am grateful that I live in Australia, and that the huge cost of my medicine is largely covered under the pharmaceutical benefits scheme (PBS).


10 comments:

  1. Hi kylie
    You must be going through so such uncertainty about what your future holds. More so than the average mum anyway. I wish you every success on your retreat. That video was very sad but so up lifting. Thank you so much for making us more aware of this horrible disease.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie,
    That was such an emotional video.
    I also found it very uplifting.
    Good luck on your retreat.
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing this video kylie. let's hope a cure is found for you and other sufferers.
    enjoy the retreat.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an inspiring video. Good luck with all your endeavours and lets hope all the hard work that people put in will soon find a cure. Giulia .x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again Kylie I find myself at a bit of a loss for the right words. My heart aches for you but at the same time your strength and courage is inspiring. I'm sure this retreat will be an emotional experience for you, but I know you'll get so much out of it and come home even stronger for it. Thinking of you :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the retreat is a learning, fun, and bonding experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you come away from the retreat inspired and with the tools and techniques to help you live a beautiful life. It's great you will get to see your daughter at the dress rehearsal...cheer loud!
    all the very best.
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why I didn't see this earlier, but I am wishing you a very positive and uplifting week at the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kylie, Hope you enjoy your retreat and get allot from it. You are wonderful for having such a positive and determined attitude! Hope you enjoyed your daughter's dress rehearsal much. Hope you have the best week! Rach xxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kylie, I would love to join in and support the MS moonlight walk so if it's in your calendar next year please be sure to let me know and I'll be there with bells on! I hope your retreat is beneficial to you in many ways and look forward to your return.....B:) xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...