Wednesday 21 November 2012

A Menu Chalkboard


Hi everyone.  Guess what?  I've made another thing from my Pinterest things to make list. See - set yourself a goal and you will achieve it.  This is my chalkboard menu.



How I Made It

Before I went to the hardware store, I shopped at home first.  I found a piece of plywood in the garage that I'd used to line the bathroom shelves, a spray can of chalkboard paint that I used to make my chalkboard placemats, and some rope I used to wrap my mum's present. That was everything I needed - no need to go to the shops.

Cut & Drill
I cut the plywood to about 50cm wide x 70cm tall.  I used a jigsaw to cut the curves out of the top.  Then I used the biggest drill bit I had to make two holes for the rope to go through.  Two power tools in one day - I am women, hear me roar! LOL.

Paint
When I was happy with the size and shape of the chalkboard, I painted it with undercoat.  I use Zissner.  Once it was dry, I gave it a light sand.  Then I sprayed it with 2 coats of chalkboard paint, giving it a light sand between coats.  You want a smooth surface to write on.



Distress
Freshly painted chalkboard is lovely and black but I wanted something a little more distressed and old looking.  This is what you do ... Ignore the chalkboard paint instructions that say to leave the chalbkoard paint to cure for 24 hours before using.

After the final coat of chalkboard paint is touch dry, about 1 hour, grab yourself some white chalk.  You wouldn't think that would be hard but the only place I could find white rather than coloured chalk was at Typo.


Get a piece of chalk and rub it all over the chalkboard.  Use a dry cloth to wipe it off.  Now get a damp cloth and do some random dabbing and wiping.  When it dries you will be left with a softer dabbled look.  I also sanded the corners and edges to expose some of the plywood.


Finally I thread through the rope, tying knots at the ends, and hung it up above the BBQ.


Here's a close up of the rope and edges.


and here you can see the splotchy effect on the chalkboard.


So the outdoor kitchen is taking shape.


Really need to makeover my Dad's old butcher's block to go under the clock.  Add it to the To Do list.



I'm now planning an OMS-friendly Christmas menu.  Hope your Christmas planning is coming along.  Just over one month away now.

11 comments:

  1. Wow Kylie your outdoor bbq area is looking beautiful! So impressed you used a jigsaw, never used one in my life.. love working the tools, think I heard you roar over on this side of town :-). This is a great achievement & fab lil shop at home too. Have lovely day! rx

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely idea and looks great in your bbq area. well done with the jigsaw!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Your outdoor area is really shaping up- mine just looks like a workshop at the moment with all my redeemed furniture in there in the process of being made over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one, even better that you could shop your home for all the materials :) Your outdoor kitchen is looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Kylie! I'll be over for dinner I think ;)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice chalkboard, Kylie, and I love your outdoor kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fab... love chalk boards!!! The menu sounds delish too ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is every kind of fabulous - I love this! What a brilliant idea, I am so adding this to my list of projects. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's fabulous. Loving you BBQ area too. I think chalk boarding is so cool.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute~ job well done! Sharing at the party tonight~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The menu chalkboard is such a clever idea! It’s good that you put it that high because your kids might use that and play with it. As we all know, kids can be playful and curious! Anyway, I like your grill. It’s pretty huge. ->Dominic Pablo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...